Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Visit Apply Give

Academic Planning

Image Picker for Section 0

The "Academic Planning" section is designed to help students navigate their academics and achieve their degree. We've included information about the CAS Degrees, Advising within the College, Senior Checkout, Academic Probation, Policy, and much more.


How do I know if a course satisfies the A&S Second Writing requirement?

A master list of all courses approved to be taught as a Second Writing course can be found in the UD Catalog. These courses are not, however, always taught to fulfill the second writing requirement. Only the specific sections designated within each academic term will satisfy the second writing requirement. Please check the UDSIS registration system to ascertain whether a particular course section will be offered as a  second writing course. Only a limited number of courses, when transferred from another institution, will satisfy the second writing requirement.

I am thinking of changing my major; what should I do?

First, you should review the requirements for the major in the UD Catalog. Read over the course titles and descriptions; be sure that you are interested. Through the Student Center in UDSIS, you can also learn about how your current courses would count in your new major or degree. Follow the instructions on for StudentWhatIf.pdf.

Then review the requirements and restrictions for changing into the new major. Then, contact the department you're looking to switch into. They will be able to talk with you about the major and any possible concentrations. They may also be able to tell you whether any of your previous credit will apply. If you are not sure what you'd like to change your major to, you can call UAS for an appointment or set up a meeting with an advisor from the University Studies program.

Where can I find a listing of CAS Breadth (Group) Requirements?

You can find a comprehensive listing of CAS Breadth here. Please note that for each Group, you must take no more than 6 credits from one department. This means that if you are looking to satisfy Group B, for example, you can only apply 6 credits from HIST toward Group B. The other 3 credits must come from another department (and can NOT be cross-listed with HIST). You may also wish to read more about how breadth requirements work by checking the CAS Breadth Requirements​ page.  

I would like a Senior Checkout. How do I get one?

Please see our Senior Checkout FAQ​ page.  

What is the "residency requirement"?

To receive a University of Delaware baccalaureate degree, admitted students must complete 90 of the first 100 credits or 30 of the last 36 credits, full- or part-time, at the University of Delaware. Please click here: Residency Requirement.pdf for a visual representation of the residency requirement.

I want to take more than 18 credits; can I do that?

Please review the University's credit overload policy. Then contact us at  to be considered for a credit overload.

Who is my advisor?

Your advisor is listed on your UDSIS Student Center. Click on the details link in the UDSIS Advisor box to email your advisor. You may also use the UD Directory to find your advisor's contact information. If you have not been assigned an advisor, you should contact your department and ask to have an advisor assigned to you.

I'd like to take an online course. How do I get permission?

Any student with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher may take up to two online courses each semester without permission. Students with GPA's below a 2.0 or students hoping to take more than 2 online classes must seek permission from UAS. In considering whether or not we will grant permission, we consider the student's immediate need for the course, prior success in online courses (e.g., winter and summer sessions), academic history, and extenuating circumstances (e.g., medical needs, etc.). If you wish to seek permission for online enrollment, please contact our office at .

If your question is not on this list or you need clarification on something that is on this list, please contact Undergraduate Academic Services at 

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
Academic Planning
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
Academic Planning