The College of Arts and Sciences has a VDI system that allows the use of specialized software for teaching and research without requiring the software to be installed on users' computers or a visit to a physical computer lab. Instead, the VDI can be used
from any computer that can run the VMware Horizon Client, in class or out, on campus or off. The client connects you to a specialized virtual machine (VM) that has the software
you need. Instructions for installing the client can be found on the Documentation page.
Currently, the CAS VDI has VM pools for:
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Data analysis software including STATA and NVivo
- Optitex textile CAD.
Faculty can request the ability to control access to the VDI for their students and to reserve the pools for their exclusive use during class periods. To begin, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
and ask to be added as a VDI Instructor. You will receive a reply letting you know you have been added with some additional details. Once you have the reply, follow the instructions below to grant access to the pool(s) for yourself and your class.
- Log in as instructed in the e-mail reply.
- Add your class roster by clicking "new item" under "Rosters" below.
- Fill in your course name in the format indicated.
- Select which pool(s) you and your students will be using. Note that your students will have 24/7 access to the pool(s) except when they are reserved for another class.
- Paste the contents of your course roster with student @udel.edu e-mail addresses into the "Course Roster" box. Note that you can paste the entire roster into the box without cleaning it up and only the e-mail addresses will be kept. Don't forget to include yourself in the roster or you will not have access to the pool(s)!
- If you only wish to grant students access to the pools and don't need to reserve the pool(s) for class time you are done. Access will be granted early in the morning the following day.
- You may edit your roster at any time by logging in and clicking the pencil & paper icon next to your roster. Additions and removals will be effective early in the morning the following day.
- Reserve pools for your students' exclusive use during your class times. Please reserve only for times when you will actually be using the VDI in class. Do not reserve for every class period if you will only be using the system in class on certain days.
- Scroll down to the calendar for the pool you wish to reserve. Note the maximum number of users in the pool and make sure it is sufficient for your class. Please don't reserve a large pool for your class if a smaller pool will do.
- Hover your mouse over the first day you wish to reserve and click "Add".
- Pick the course from the "Your Course" pull-down. Only courses you created in Step 2 above will appear on the list.
- Select start and end times for the reservation and click "Save". Note that you can use the recurrance function, but please only do so if you actually need the pool on all of the recurring days. Please DO NOT use the "all-day" function.
- Continue adding reservations until you have all the dates/times you need reserved.
- Reservations exist as un-approved requests until reviewed and approved by the VDI administrator. Requests submitted during business hours can be expected to be reviewed and approved for availability early on the next business day.